Psoriasis is a skin condition that causes red patches all over a person's body, especially on the elbows and knees. Luckily, Drs. Lisa Silbret and Alan Schechter have experience dealing with this condition and can help you at their Manalapan, NJ, office!
More About Psoriasis:
According to your Manalapan dermatologists, "psoriasis affects as many as 7.5 million people in the United States," and approximately 20,000 are children under the age of 10.
Psoriasis causes red patchy skin that have white, flaky scales. People experience their first flare-up between the ages of 15 and 35, and after that, they will continue to experience these flare-ups and remissions throughout the rest of their lives.
People affected by psoriasis are at greater risk for several other health conditions, as well, including:
- heart disease
- inflammatory bowel disease
- other immune-related conditions
- injury to the skin
- medication allergies
Types of Psoriasis:
- Plaque Psoriasis: Inflamed, scaly red lesions that appear on a person's elbows, knees, scalp, and lower back.
- Guttate Psoriasis: Small red dot-like spots that appear on a person's limbs. This condition most frequently impacts children and young adults.
- Inverse Psoriasis: These smooth and shiny bright red lesions manifest on a person's armpits, groin, breasts, and buttocks.
- Pustular Psoriasis: These pus-filled white blisters are surrounded by red skin and appear all over the body.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis: This variation is characterized by red skin that covers large areas of the body, before eventually shedding off in white sheets.
- Moisturizers that lubricate the skin and reduce redness/itchiness
- Bath solutions that remove scales and relieve itchiness
- Anti-itch treatment like calamine lotion or hydrocortisone creams
Prescription Topical Treatments
- Anthralin to reduce skin cell growth
- Calcitriol is an active vitamin that reduces skin cell production
- Tazarotene, a retinoid that also slows down cell growth
- Steroids that reduce the inflammation, swelling, and redness of lesions
- Calcipotriene or Betamethasone Dipropionate to flatten lesions and remove scales
If you would like more information about psoriasis, call your cosmetic dermatologists in Manalapan, NJ, at (732) 303-1500 today!
Are You Looking for a Non-Surgical Treatment That Can Take Years off Your Appearance?
We know that everyone wants to maintain a young, vibrant appearance for as long as possible, but not everyone wants to go through cosmetic surgery in order to achieve the look. Luckily, our Manalapan, NJ, dermatologists, Dr. Lisa Silbret and Dr. Alan Schechter, offer Botox, a simple, fast, and nonsurgical option for treating those fine lines and wrinkles in your face.
What is Botox?
Botox is a medical-grade injectable that is designed to reduce the appearance of dynamic facial lines (ie the wrinkles that appear across the face when smiling or frowning).
These thin injections are filled with a highly purified form of botulinum toxin that temporarily slows muscle contractions, the direct cause of the unwanted wrinkles and lines in the first place.
What Is the Treatment Like?
Getting Botox is extremely swift, simple, and relatively painless. The procedure simply consists of a few needle administrations into the skin, only taking a couple of minutes while containing absolutely no downtime. It's so quick some patients even choose to come in during their lunch break!
There may be a slight burning sensation when first administering the needles, but this is well tolerated and goes away quickly. Of course, if you have a low pain tolerance, we can apply ice or a topical numbing gel to the skin prior to the procedure.
When Will I See Results?
It will take a couple of days to see the full results. You will begin to see facial lines and wrinkle fading over 3-4 days with the full results appearing within one week. Most patients worry that Botox may make them feel frozen, but rest assured that because this treatment does not affect the nerves, you will not feel numb nor will you lose sensation.
How Long Will Results Last?
How long your results last will vary from person to person, but effects usually last anywhere from 3-4 months. Of course, you can choose to get maintenance treatments throughout the year at our Manalapan office to refresh your results.
Contact Us Today!
If you are interested in getting Botox in Manalapan, NJ, then give us a call today at (732) 303-1500 to learn more about the procedure and whether it is the right choice for you. We are more than happy to sit down with you to discuss your cosmetic needs and see if you’re an ideal candidate.
While fine lines may be an inevitable fact of life, that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to improve the health and appearance of your skin. There are a number of simple lifestyle changes you can make to help diminish wrinkles. And with the popularity of cosmetic dermatology, you can talk to your dermatologist about safe and long-lasting procedures, such as Botox™, that help reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Visible signs of aging may not be unavoidable, but the causes that lead to wrinkles and fine lines aren’t completely out of your control. The first step to diminishing the appearance of your wrinkles is to understand what causes them in the first place.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Sun exposure is the leading cause of wrinkles. When you must be in the sun, always wear sunscreen and protective gear such as a hat and sunglasses. This will not only help you prevent wrinkles, it will also help prevent skin cancer.
- Moisturize. Dry skin turns plump skin cells into shriveled ones, creating lines and wrinkles prematurely. Skin that is moist looks better and retains the skin’s elasticity.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking causes premature wrinkles and fine lines around the mouth. It upsets the body’s mechanism for breaking down old skin and renewing it.
- Wear protective sunglasses. Avoid crow’s feet and prevent wrinkles around your eyes by wearing protective eyewear, as repeated squinting causes these wrinkles.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables that contain powerful antioxidants, such as berries and leafy greens, can help fight against the harmful molecules that damage skin cells.
- Stay hydrated. Water helps keep your body and skin hydrated, giving your skin a radiant glow while helping to rid waste out of your system.
A More Youthful Appearance with Cosmetic Dermatology
For fast and long-lasting results, you may want to visit your cosmetic dermatologist. Today, cosmetic dermatology offers a wide spectrum of safe and effective procedures that can help you dramatically reduce the visibility of your wrinkles, improve your overall skin health and help you achieve your skin care goals.
Three popular cosmetic procedures include:
- Botox™: This popular treatment for facial wrinkles involves injecting Botox™ which relaxes and weakens the muscles beneath the wrinkle. This temporarily prevents the formation of expression type wrinkles, such as frown lines and crow’s feet.
- Wrinkle fillers: Popular wrinkle fillers, such as Juvederm™ and Restylane™, are composed of gel-like compounds that reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and folds.
- Chemical Peels: This process involves applying a safe and gentle chemical solution to the skin of the face, neck and hand, which includes exfoliation of the upper skin layers. This procedure is not only used for the reduction of wrinkles but for the treatment of acne and pigmentation problems as well.
Wrinkles may be a natural part of the aging process, but that doesn’t mean you have to settle for an aged appearance. With a healthy lifestyle, good sun protection and regular visits to your dermatologist, you can help keep your skin looking youthful for years and years.
If you are considering treatment for wrinkles, talk to your cosmetic dermatologist in Manalapan, NJ at Dr. Lisa Silbret, MD and Dr. Alan Schechter, MD about your options!
Is your skin changing? Would you like to look refreshed and younger? Then, visit the offices of Dr. Lisa Silbert and Dr. Alan Schechter, your cosmetic dermatologists in Manalpan, NJ. They serve many people just like you who wish to have healthier, more vibrant facial aesthetics. Learn here about some of the cosmetic dermatology procedures they offer.
The goal of cosmetic dermatology
It's to help you look and feel your best. Dr. Silbert and Dr. Schechter approach each individual with a kind, listening attitude so they understand why he or she wants to make some aesthetic changes.
Most often, people do not want or need reconstruction. Rather, they wish to renew their facial appearance, limiting:
- Signs of aging
- Scarring, particularly from acne
- Remove skin tags and sun spots
- Reduce changes in skin pigment from aging and sun exposure
- Tighten sagging skin
- Smooth lines and wrinkles
While diet, weight fluctuations, aging, and smoking impact the texture, color, and appearance of the face, some changes are beyond the patient's control. Self-image and confidence decline. But, with help from a Manalapan cosmetic dermatologist, patients achieve the boost they need with little to no discomfort or downtime.
Offered cosmetic procedures
After a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Silbert or Dr. Schechter, you will receive a personalized plan which addresses the concerns you have about your skin. It may include specialized skin care products and at-home routines to boost your skin's vitality.
The physicians also may advise one or more of the following procedures. They are among the most common and effective used by board-certified dermatologists across the country. They include BOTOX Cosmetic, dermal fillers, such as Juvederm and Restylane, laser skin treatments and chemical peels. Together, you and your doctor will decide which ones are best for you.
Details on the procedures
What is BOTOX Cosmetic? BOTOX is an FDA-approved, injectable form of the botulism toxin. Placed with a fine needle under the skin, BOTOX minimizes movement of muscles which create dynamic wrinkling. These creases form from frowning, laughing, and smiling. Injections are comfortable, take immediate effect and last four to six months.
What are dermal fillers? Restylane and Juvederm are FDA-approved forms of hyaluronic acid, a naturally-derived substance which stimulates the body's own collagen. The doctor puts these fillers into areas which have deeper wrinkles and folds from aging and sun exposure (around the eyes, nose, and mouth). Effects last for months.
What are IRIDERM laser treatments? Your dermatologist uses focused beams of light to break up spots of hyperpigmentation, clusters of capillaries caused by rosacea, to smooth scarring from accident, surgery, acne, and more.
What are chemical peels? These in-office treatments apply glycolic acid to mottled pigmentation, scars, wrinkles, or lines. The preparation sets up for several minutes and then is neutralized by a special chemical to reveal pinker, younger-looking skin.
What's your best treatment?
Find out by consulting with Dr. Silbert or Dr. Schechter. You'll love the personalized attention and the results from these amazing procedures. Call the office in Manalapan, NJ, for an appointment: (732) 303-1500.
Skin cancer affects one in five adults and is the most common type of cancer among adults in the United States. Early detection of skin cancer increases the odds of successfully treating the cancer. Having your skin regularly checked by a dermatologist to examine for the development of new suspicious moles or unusual changes in the shape and color of existing ones is an effective method for early detection of skin cancer. Dr. Lisa Silbret and Dr. Alan Schechter are your dermatologists for early detection of skin cancer, as well as skin cancer treatments in Manalapan, NJ.
Types of Skin Cancer
There are several types of skin cancer, but basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma are the most common. Years of chronic sun exposure can damage the skin and lead to the development of either type of carcinoma. A third type of skin cancer known as melanoma is the least common, but most deadly. Melanoma is the leading cause of skin cancer related deaths among adults in the United States. It is responsible for more deaths than any other type of skin cancer.
Skin Cancer Treatments in Manalapan
There are several methods for treating skin cancer. The treatment method used depends on the type of skin cancer, as well as its stage of development. After diagnosing your specific type of skin cancer, your dermatologist will recommend the appropriate treatment.
Early detection of any type of skin cancer offers the best chances for successfully treating the cancer, as well as stopping it from spreading. Several skin cancer treatments are available in Manalapan, NJ. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Silbret or Dr. Schechter, your dermatologists for the treatment of skin cancer, call the office at (732) 303-1500.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.