Posts for tag: Chemical Peels
While fine lines may be an inevitable fact of life, that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to improve the health and appearance of your skin. There are a number of simple lifestyle changes you can make to help diminish wrinkles. And with the popularity of cosmetic dermatology, you can talk to your dermatologist about safe and long-lasting procedures, such as Botox™, that help reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Visible signs of aging may not be unavoidable, but the causes that lead to wrinkles and fine lines aren’t completely out of your control. The first step to diminishing the appearance of your wrinkles is to understand what causes them in the first place.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Sun exposure is the leading cause of wrinkles. When you must be in the sun, always wear sunscreen and protective gear such as a hat and sunglasses. This will not only help you prevent wrinkles, it will also help prevent skin cancer.
- Moisturize. Dry skin turns plump skin cells into shriveled ones, creating lines and wrinkles prematurely. Skin that is moist looks better and retains the skin’s elasticity.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking causes premature wrinkles and fine lines around the mouth. It upsets the body’s mechanism for breaking down old skin and renewing it.
- Wear protective sunglasses. Avoid crow’s feet and prevent wrinkles around your eyes by wearing protective eyewear, as repeated squinting causes these wrinkles.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables that contain powerful antioxidants, such as berries and leafy greens, can help fight against the harmful molecules that damage skin cells.
- Stay hydrated. Water helps keep your body and skin hydrated, giving your skin a radiant glow while helping to rid waste out of your system.
A More Youthful Appearance with Cosmetic Dermatology
For fast and long-lasting results, you may want to visit your cosmetic dermatologist. Today, cosmetic dermatology offers a wide spectrum of safe and effective procedures that can help you dramatically reduce the visibility of your wrinkles, improve your overall skin health and help you achieve your skin care goals.
Three popular cosmetic procedures include:
- Botox™: This popular treatment for facial wrinkles involves injecting Botox™ which relaxes and weakens the muscles beneath the wrinkle. This temporarily prevents the formation of expression type wrinkles, such as frown lines and crow’s feet.
- Wrinkle fillers: Popular wrinkle fillers, such as Juvederm™ and Restylane™, are composed of gel-like compounds that reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and folds.
- Chemical Peels: This process involves applying a safe and gentle chemical solution to the skin of the face, neck and hand, which includes exfoliation of the upper skin layers. This procedure is not only used for the reduction of wrinkles but for the treatment of acne and pigmentation problems as well.
Wrinkles may be a natural part of the aging process, but that doesn’t mean you have to settle for an aged appearance. With a healthy lifestyle, good sun protection and regular visits to your dermatologist, you can help keep your skin looking youthful for years and years.
If you are considering treatment for wrinkles, talk to your cosmetic dermatologist in Manalapan, NJ at Dr. Lisa Silbret, MD and Dr. Alan Schechter, MD about your options!
Is your skin changing? Would you like to look refreshed and younger? Then, visit the offices of Dr. Lisa Silbert and Dr. Alan Schechter, your cosmetic dermatologists in Manalpan, NJ. They serve many people just like you who wish to have healthier, more vibrant facial aesthetics. Learn here about some of the cosmetic dermatology procedures they offer.
The goal of cosmetic dermatology
It's to help you look and feel your best. Dr. Silbert and Dr. Schechter approach each individual with a kind, listening attitude so they understand why he or she wants to make some aesthetic changes.
Most often, people do not want or need reconstruction. Rather, they wish to renew their facial appearance, limiting:
- Signs of aging
- Scarring, particularly from acne
- Remove skin tags and sun spots
- Reduce changes in skin pigment from aging and sun exposure
- Tighten sagging skin
- Smooth lines and wrinkles
While diet, weight fluctuations, aging, and smoking impact the texture, color, and appearance of the face, some changes are beyond the patient's control. Self-image and confidence decline. But, with help from a Manalapan cosmetic dermatologist, patients achieve the boost they need with little to no discomfort or downtime.
Offered cosmetic procedures
After a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Silbert or Dr. Schechter, you will receive a personalized plan which addresses the concerns you have about your skin. It may include specialized skin care products and at-home routines to boost your skin's vitality.
The physicians also may advise one or more of the following procedures. They are among the most common and effective used by board-certified dermatologists across the country. They include BOTOX Cosmetic, dermal fillers, such as Juvederm and Restylane, laser skin treatments and chemical peels. Together, you and your doctor will decide which ones are best for you.
Details on the procedures
What is BOTOX Cosmetic? BOTOX is an FDA-approved, injectable form of the botulism toxin. Placed with a fine needle under the skin, BOTOX minimizes movement of muscles which create dynamic wrinkling. These creases form from frowning, laughing, and smiling. Injections are comfortable, take immediate effect and last four to six months.
What are dermal fillers? Restylane and Juvederm are FDA-approved forms of hyaluronic acid, a naturally-derived substance which stimulates the body's own collagen. The doctor puts these fillers into areas which have deeper wrinkles and folds from aging and sun exposure (around the eyes, nose, and mouth). Effects last for months.
What are IRIDERM laser treatments? Your dermatologist uses focused beams of light to break up spots of hyperpigmentation, clusters of capillaries caused by rosacea, to smooth scarring from accident, surgery, acne, and more.
What are chemical peels? These in-office treatments apply glycolic acid to mottled pigmentation, scars, wrinkles, or lines. The preparation sets up for several minutes and then is neutralized by a special chemical to reveal pinker, younger-looking skin.
What's your best treatment?
Find out by consulting with Dr. Silbert or Dr. Schechter. You'll love the personalized attention and the results from these amazing procedures. Call the office in Manalapan, NJ, for an appointment: (732) 303-1500.