Getting a simple annual skin cancer screening could protect you from melanoma.
Melanoma is one of the most serious and deadly forms of skin cancer; fortunately, while this is certainly scary to hear, melanoma is also easily treatable if it is detected early. Here at the Manalapan, NJ, office of dermatologists Dr. Lisa Silbret and Dr. Alan Schechter, we offer simple, non-invasive skin cancer screenings to patients of all ages. Read on to learn how this simple screening could save your life!
Getting Screened for Skin Cancer
Unlike other forms of cancer that start inside the body and aren’t visible, skin cancer can easily be detected through a simple skin cancer screening, whether that be a self-exam at home, or during an appointment at our Manalapan office.
Once a year, everyone should receive a full-body skin exam. Those at an increased risk for skin cancer should talk to their doctor about how often they should come in for screenings. If you’ve never seen a dermatologist for a skin cancer screening, it’s high time you did.
During a screening, our dermatologist will examine all parts of your body, from your scalp to your bra line to the soles of your feet (even between your toes). This exam only takes a few minutes and is completely non-invasive. If our dermatologist does find something, you will likely require further testing.
Risk Factors for Skin Cancer
You may be at an increased risk for developing skin cancer if,
- You have fair skin
- You have light hair and eyes
- You have freckles
- You have a family history of skin cancer (both melanoma and non-melanoma)
- You’ve experienced sunburns in the past
- You’ve used tanning beds
- You’ve had excessive exposure to UV light (e.g. you work outside)
Skin Cancer Treatments
If our Manalapan skin doctor does detect skin cancer, there are many ways to treat this problem. The type of treatment will depend on the type of skin cancer and whether it has spread or not. Common skin cancer treatments include,
- Surgery: one of the most common types of surgeries is Mohs surgery, which can be used to treat both melanoma and non-melanoma lesions. Mohs surgery is a more conservative surgical procedure that is performed on areas like the face that require maximum healthy tissue preservation.
- Photodynamic therapy
- Targeted therapy
Your dermatologist will discuss your different skin cancer treatment options and create a treatment plan that will offer the highest success rate for curing your condition.
Concerned? Give Us a Call
If you’ve never received a professional skin cancer screening, it’s time that you did. Call our Manalapan, NJ, office today at (732) 303-1500 to schedule this important screening.
Are you starting to look older than you want to? Are those tell-tale lines and wrinkles showing up around your eye and other areas of your face? If so, it’s time for you to discover what Botox can do for you. Here at Dr. Lisa Silbret and Dr. Alan Schechter's Manalapan, NJ, dermatology office, we offer a wide range of skincare products and treatments, including Botox, to help you look your best—read on to learn more!
Changes happen to your body as you age, including changes to your skin. This is because when you continually laugh, frown, or show other expressions over time, your skin will stop snapping back the way it did when you were younger. Instead, fine lines and wrinkles along the lines of expression will begin to show.
Fortunately, there is an effective weapon in the fight against wrinkles—it’s called Botox, and it can help you look your best by diminishing signs of aging, such as:
- Crow’s feet, which are the fine lines appearing at the corners of your eyes
- Furrows, which are the deeper lines appearing across your forehead
- Glabella, which are the lines appearing between your eyebrows
- Marionette lines, which are the lines appearing at the corners of your mouth
- Nasolabial lines, which are the deep lines running from your nose to your mouth
Botox is an injectable medication which works by temporarily “freezing” the nerves and muscles at the injection site. Botox has been rigorously tested and approved for use by the FDA. In clinical trials, it has shown tremendous benefits in making skin appear more youthful and smooth.
Interested? Give us a call
With Botox, you can look as young as you feel! To learn more about the benefits of this treatment, talk with the experts—call Dr. Lisa Silbret and Dr. Alan Schechter in Manalapan, NJ, today at (732) 303-1500.
Psoriasis is a skin condition that causes red patches all over a person's body, especially on the elbows and knees. Luckily, Drs. Lisa Silbret and Alan Schechter have experience dealing with this condition and can help you at their Manalapan, NJ, office!
More About Psoriasis:
According to your Manalapan dermatologists, "psoriasis affects as many as 7.5 million people in the United States," and approximately 20,000 are children under the age of 10.
Psoriasis causes red patchy skin that have white, flaky scales. People experience their first flare-up between the ages of 15 and 35, and after that, they will continue to experience these flare-ups and remissions throughout the rest of their lives.
People affected by psoriasis are at greater risk for several other health conditions, as well, including:
- heart disease
- inflammatory bowel disease
- other immune-related conditions
- injury to the skin
- medication allergies
Types of Psoriasis:
- Plaque Psoriasis: Inflamed, scaly red lesions that appear on a person's elbows, knees, scalp, and lower back.
- Guttate Psoriasis: Small red dot-like spots that appear on a person's limbs. This condition most frequently impacts children and young adults.
- Inverse Psoriasis: These smooth and shiny bright red lesions manifest on a person's armpits, groin, breasts, and buttocks.
- Pustular Psoriasis: These pus-filled white blisters are surrounded by red skin and appear all over the body.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis: This variation is characterized by red skin that covers large areas of the body, before eventually shedding off in white sheets.
- Moisturizers that lubricate the skin and reduce redness/itchiness
- Bath solutions that remove scales and relieve itchiness
- Anti-itch treatment like calamine lotion or hydrocortisone creams
Prescription Topical Treatments
- Anthralin to reduce skin cell growth
- Calcitriol is an active vitamin that reduces skin cell production
- Tazarotene, a retinoid that also slows down cell growth
- Steroids that reduce the inflammation, swelling, and redness of lesions
- Calcipotriene or Betamethasone Dipropionate to flatten lesions and remove scales
If you would like more information about psoriasis, call your cosmetic dermatologists in Manalapan, NJ, at (732) 303-1500 today!
Are You Looking for a Non-Surgical Treatment That Can Take Years off Your Appearance?
We know that everyone wants to maintain a young, vibrant appearance for as long as possible, but not everyone wants to go through cosmetic surgery in order to achieve the look. Luckily, our Manalapan, NJ, dermatologists, Dr. Lisa Silbret and Dr. Alan Schechter, offer Botox, a simple, fast, and nonsurgical option for treating those fine lines and wrinkles in your face.
What is Botox?
Botox is a medical-grade injectable that is designed to reduce the appearance of dynamic facial lines (ie the wrinkles that appear across the face when smiling or frowning).
These thin injections are filled with a highly purified form of botulinum toxin that temporarily slows muscle contractions, the direct cause of the unwanted wrinkles and lines in the first place.
What Is the Treatment Like?
Getting Botox is extremely swift, simple, and relatively painless. The procedure simply consists of a few needle administrations into the skin, only taking a couple of minutes while containing absolutely no downtime. It's so quick some patients even choose to come in during their lunch break!
There may be a slight burning sensation when first administering the needles, but this is well tolerated and goes away quickly. Of course, if you have a low pain tolerance, we can apply ice or a topical numbing gel to the skin prior to the procedure.
When Will I See Results?
It will take a couple of days to see the full results. You will begin to see facial lines and wrinkle fading over 3-4 days with the full results appearing within one week. Most patients worry that Botox may make them feel frozen, but rest assured that because this treatment does not affect the nerves, you will not feel numb nor will you lose sensation.
How Long Will Results Last?
How long your results last will vary from person to person, but effects usually last anywhere from 3-4 months. Of course, you can choose to get maintenance treatments throughout the year at our Manalapan office to refresh your results.
Contact Us Today!
If you are interested in getting Botox in Manalapan, NJ, then give us a call today at (732) 303-1500 to learn more about the procedure and whether it is the right choice for you. We are more than happy to sit down with you to discuss your cosmetic needs and see if you’re an ideal candidate.
While fine lines may be an inevitable fact of life, that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to improve the health and appearance of your skin. There are a number of simple lifestyle changes you can make to help diminish wrinkles. And with the popularity of cosmetic dermatology, you can talk to your dermatologist about safe and long-lasting procedures, such as Botox™, that help reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Visible signs of aging may not be unavoidable, but the causes that lead to wrinkles and fine lines aren’t completely out of your control. The first step to diminishing the appearance of your wrinkles is to understand what causes them in the first place.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Sun exposure is the leading cause of wrinkles. When you must be in the sun, always wear sunscreen and protective gear such as a hat and sunglasses. This will not only help you prevent wrinkles, it will also help prevent skin cancer.
- Moisturize. Dry skin turns plump skin cells into shriveled ones, creating lines and wrinkles prematurely. Skin that is moist looks better and retains the skin’s elasticity.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking causes premature wrinkles and fine lines around the mouth. It upsets the body’s mechanism for breaking down old skin and renewing it.
- Wear protective sunglasses. Avoid crow’s feet and prevent wrinkles around your eyes by wearing protective eyewear, as repeated squinting causes these wrinkles.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables that contain powerful antioxidants, such as berries and leafy greens, can help fight against the harmful molecules that damage skin cells.
- Stay hydrated. Water helps keep your body and skin hydrated, giving your skin a radiant glow while helping to rid waste out of your system.
A More Youthful Appearance with Cosmetic Dermatology
For fast and long-lasting results, you may want to visit your cosmetic dermatologist. Today, cosmetic dermatology offers a wide spectrum of safe and effective procedures that can help you dramatically reduce the visibility of your wrinkles, improve your overall skin health and help you achieve your skin care goals.
Three popular cosmetic procedures include:
- Botox™: This popular treatment for facial wrinkles involves injecting Botox™ which relaxes and weakens the muscles beneath the wrinkle. This temporarily prevents the formation of expression type wrinkles, such as frown lines and crow’s feet.
- Wrinkle fillers: Popular wrinkle fillers, such as Juvederm™ and Restylane™, are composed of gel-like compounds that reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and folds.
- Chemical Peels: This process involves applying a safe and gentle chemical solution to the skin of the face, neck and hand, which includes exfoliation of the upper skin layers. This procedure is not only used for the reduction of wrinkles but for the treatment of acne and pigmentation problems as well.
Wrinkles may be a natural part of the aging process, but that doesn’t mean you have to settle for an aged appearance. With a healthy lifestyle, good sun protection and regular visits to your dermatologist, you can help keep your skin looking youthful for years and years.
If you are considering treatment for wrinkles, talk to your cosmetic dermatologist in Manalapan, NJ at Dr. Lisa Silbret, MD and Dr. Alan Schechter, MD about your options!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.